Sunday, September 18, 2005

Shed Skin 0.0.2: Easy Windows/OSX Installation

Shed Skin 0.0.2 is up on SourceForge. It should install easily on Windows 2000/XP and on OSX. Please give it a try and let me know if there are still some problems.

If you would like to help me improve Shed Skin, please send me small code snippets, preferrably extracted from real-life use cases, that the compiler has problems with.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out, especially Khalid and Luis on python-list, and Denis de Leeuw Duarte right here in the street :-)

Update: 0.0.3 has also been released, with improved support for builtin functions, bug fixes and a Windows package of only 3 MB.

Update: We're on a roll, with 0.0.4. Many improvements again; added several interesting test cases (thanks to bearophile!): convex hull, n-queens problem, pascal triangle and ascii mandelbrot.

5 comments:

Baczek said...

20MB??? That's wayyyy too much. Maybe make a windows-lite version for those people who already have a compiler.

srepmub said...

I might make a lite version in the future, but for now I'm happy that the compiler works at all under Windows.

Anyway, this really is intended to be an open source project. All the source code is online, and you are welcome to create a smaller Windows version yourself (just remove the compiler stuff.) I will be happy to place it on sourceforge.

In fact, I would be really glad if someone else could maintain the Windows version, since I don't have Windows myself.

srepmub said...

Btw, I think most people are on Windows, without a readily installed C++ compiler. So the current package makes it really simple for most people to try out Shed Skin.

Also, you could try running the (100 times smaller :p) UNIX version under Windows. This would require installing the garbage collector yourself, and perhaps modify some of the included scripts.

srepmub said...

Ah, someone is actually making a smaller version. It's now down to 9-11 MB (depending on the compression method.) I'll keep you updated.

srepmub said...

Okay, somebody suggested I try WinRk..

Because of the great compression this program achieves, I became motivated to also strip out all unneeded stuff. The new version on sourceforge is about 3MB.

Thanks for letting me know 20MB was perhaps a bit large :-)